Being in a long-distance relationship can be challenging, but it doesn’t have to be all negative. It’s important to remember the beauty of why you’re in a long-distance relationship: unconfined love. You and your partner have chosen to be together despite the distance, and that is something special. However, maintaining a healthy and strong long-distance relationship takes work and effort. Here are some basic things to keep in mind.
The Basics of Making a Long Distance Relationship Work
- Remember the beauty of why you’re in a long-distance relationship: Unconfined love is special and beautiful. It means that you and your partner have chosen to be together despite the distance, and that is something special.
- Do everything you can to always demonstrate trust and commitment: Trust and commitment are vital in any relationship, but they become even more important in a long-distance relationship. It’s important to always be honest and transparent in your communication and to show your partner that you are committed to the relationship.
- Be honest and transparent in your communication: Honesty and transparency are key to building trust in any relationship, but they become even more important in a long-distance relationship. It’s important to be open and honest with your partner, even if it’s difficult.
- Share memorable intimate moments: It’s important to share intimate moments, no matter how far apart you are. This can be done through video calls, photographs, or even by sending gifts or care packages.
- Plan for the future: Even if you’re not sure when you’ll be together in person, it’s important to plan for the future. Set goals for the relationship and make plans for the future. Discuss and plan for living together or moving closer in the future and prepare for the transition to living in close proximity.
30 Fun and Meaningful Things to Do as a Long Distance Couple
- Discuss the possibility of a virtual marriage: If you’re in a long-term long-distance relationship and committed to each other, you may want to consider a virtual marriage. This will allow you to make the commitment official, even if you can’t be in the same physical location.
- Virtual Dates: Set aside a specific day and time each week for virtual dates. This can include watching a movie or TV show together on a streaming platform that supports simultaneous streaming or even cooking a meal together over a video call.
- Surprise visits: Plan surprise visits to each other, if possible, to break up the monotony of long-distance. Even if you can’t be there in person, you can surprise your partner with a video call from a location that holds special significance for the both of you.
- Send care packages: Send care packages to each other filled with things that remind you of each other and things that you both enjoy. This can include photos, trinkets, or even small gifts.
- Play games together: Play games together over video call, such as online board games or video games. This can be a fun way to spend time together and keep the spark alive.
- Attend virtual events together: Attend virtual events together such as concerts, lectures, or art exhibitions. This is a great way to share new experiences, even if you’re far apart.
- Build a virtual scrapbook: Create a virtual scrapbook where you both can upload pictures and memories of the time spent together. This will allow you to look back on those memories and keep them close, even when you’re far apart.
- Keep a shared journal: Keep a shared journal where you both can write about your thoughts, feelings, and experiences in the relationship.
- Watch the same TV series or read the same book: Find a TV series or book that you both are interested in and start watching or reading it together at the same time. Then, have a conversation about it over video call or text message.
- Create a playlist for each other: Make a playlist of songs that remind you of each other or represent your relationship. Share the playlist with your partner and discuss the meaning behind each song.
- Plan a future vacation: Even if you can’t take the vacation right now, plan a future one together. Research different locations and activities you would like to do and make a plan for when you can finally take the trip together.
- Make a vision board: Create a vision board that represents your future goals and dreams, both as a couple and individually. This will help keep the future in mind, even when the distance seems overwhelming.
- Start a hobby together: Find a hobby that you both are interested in and start doing it together over video call. This can be anything from painting to knitting to playing a musical instrument.
- Exchange letters: Send heartfelt, handwritten letters to each other. This is a great way to express your feelings and thoughts in a personal and meaningful way.
- Play 20 questions: Play a game of 20 questions over text or video call to get to know each other better and to keep the conversation flowing.
- Watch the sunset or sunrise: Choose a day and coordinate to watch the sunset or sunrise from your respective locations. Share the experience over video call and discuss the beauty of the moment together.
- Make a time capsule: Create a time capsule of your relationship, including pictures, mementos, and written memories. Seal it and plan to open it together on a significant date in the future.
- Share your day: At the end of each day, share the highlights of your day with each other over video call or text message. This will give you a sense of connection and make you feel like you were a part of each other’s day.
- Plan a virtual road trip: Choose a destination and plan a virtual road trip, by watching documentaries and videos about the places you want to visit. And plan the stops you will make and the things you want to do there
- Do a workout together: Choose a workout routine, and do it together over video call. It’s a great way to stay motivated and healthy, even when you’re apart.
- Have a spa day: Plan a spa day together over video call. Light candles, play relaxing music, and give each other virtual massages.
- Make a recipe book: Create a recipe book together by finding and trying new recipes, and sharing pictures of the finished dishes.
- Take an online class together: Enroll in an online class or workshop on a topic that interests both of you. This will give you something to learn and talk about together.
- Create a gratitude jar: Create a gratitude jar where you both can write down things you’re grateful for in the relationship and in each other.
- Watch old home videos: Watch old home videos together over video call, and reminisce about the memories.
- Plan a virtual game night: Plan a virtual game night with friends and family, and play games together over video call.
- Create a bucket list: Create a bucket list of things you want to do together once you are reunited, and work towards checking items off the list.
- Play an online multiplayer game: Play an online multiplayer game together and share the excitement of the game and competition.
- Create a virtual movie night: Choose a movie and watch it together over video call. Discuss the movie and what it means to each of you after the film.
- Create a memory jar: Create a memory jar and put in little notes or trinkets that represent a special moment or memory you shared together. Open the jar together on a special occasion or when you are reunited.
Make It Official with an Online Marriage
Maintaining a long-distance relationship takes work and effort but with creative and meaningful activities and gestures, you can keep the spark alive and create special memories that will last a lifetime.
And for those who are ready to make the commitment official, you may want to consider MarryFromHome’s online marriage service. Our service allows long-distance couples to have a legal marriage and beautiful virtual wedding ceremony.
You will be able to exchange vows in the comfort of your own home and celebrate with your loved ones no matter the distance. Contact us to learn more about our services and how we can help make your special day unforgettable.